Prep Time 30 Mins
Cook Time 45 Mins
Handi biryani or Navratan biryani is a exotic vegetable version of biryani. The recipe is a must try not just for its taste, you will also enjoy cooking it in a clay pot with the fumes of clarified butter blended with clay’s aroma.
Source: Chef Gulzar Hussain in Cooking Show Live@9 on.
- Rice 2 cups (soaked)
- Yogurt 1/2 cup
- Chicken stock 2, 1/2 cups
- Peas 1/2 cup (boiled)
- Cauliflower 1/2 cup (cut and boiled)
- Carrots 1/2 cup (diced and boiled)
- Green beans 1/2 cup (boiled)
- Tomatoes 2 (sliced)
- Onions 2-3 (fried)
- Ginger garlic paste 1 tsp
- Coriander leaves 1/2 bunch (chopped)
- Mint leaves chopped 1/2 bunch
- Green chilies 4-5
- Coriander powder 1 tbsp
- Red chili powder 1 tsp
- Turmeric 1 tsp
- All spice powder 1 tsp
- Cumin 1/2 tsp
- Cloves 3
- Cinnamon 1 sticks
- Bay leaf 2
- Black Cardamom 2
- Green Cardamom 3
- Saffron few sprigs
- Screw pine essences few drops
- Clarified butter 1/2 cup
- Salt to taste
- Wheat flour 400 gm (knead a hard dough with sufficient water)
- Heat clarified butter in a clay pot (handi).
- Sauté cloves, black cardamom, small cardamom, cumin, cinnamon and bay leaves for 1-2 minutes.
- Now add the chopped tomatoes and half of fried onions.
- Cook until the oil separates.
- Then add the ginger garlic paste and cook for a minute.
- In a separate bowl, mix together yogurt, red chili powder, coriander powder, turmeric, all spice powder ,salt and chicken stock.
- Pour the mixture into the pot.
- Now add the soaked rice and cook until the oil forms a separate layer on top.
- Add the vegetables.
- Cover and seal the skillet with dough.
- Simmer for 10 minutes on low heat.
- Just 5 minutes before serving, add chopped green chilies, chopped coriander leaves, chopped mint leaves, screw pine essence and saffron.
- Simmer again for 5 minutes.
- Dish out and garnish with fried onions.